Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lots of Skating

It's been a long time since I've posted. I've been skating, working, and working out. Here's the stuff I'm working on...

FXO's/BXO's...I can do alternating FXO's and alternating BXO's down the rink, so long as it's a daytime session. I feel that I'm getting a lot of speed with these, and BXO's seem to be easier this way.

Mohawks: I'm working on these at speed espeically R to L inside mohawks. It's my goal to be really good at these before my skate class starts next Wednesday.

One foot spins: They like to travel...a lot. I keep going up on the toepick, which causes my foot to be wobbily, which causes traveling. But tonight they improved a bit and I got some compliments on it. Cool! And for the record, I did a spin from backwards crossovers that was halfway decent.

Waltz/Half flip: Ok...I did some waltz jumps against the wall and got some pointers from other skaters. My problem with waltz jumps is that I look down and don't jump off my left toepick. So I have to keep in mind to keep my chin up high and focus on jumping off the toe. This worked OK against the wall tonight. I did a couple of itsy bitsy half flips yesterday, but they took today off. No success there.

Edges: I love how supportive my boots are now. I feel secure on my edges and really feel like I can skate these well.

Forward 3-turns....I attempted the PB 3turn pattern with little success. My inside 3turns are definitley improving as long as I do them at speed.

Spiral: Did a spiral yesterday and got my leg slightly above the hip.

I also came accross a coworker tonight at the public session. She was very impressed!

*************************************
My Rant:

Only one local rink had a public skating session last Saturday since there was a huge high school hockey tournament. This tournament was going on for DAYS. I didn't know about it until I had cleaned 6 inches of snow off my car, drove through the slushy snowy mess and made it to the rink, only to turn around and go home. Stupid Hockey.

Anyways, I went to another local rink that I had never been to before. BIG mistake. I fell, not once, but TWICE in 30 seconds because of kids skating out of control. And when I mean fall, I mean these kids slammed into me. I happened to fall on my bad knee BOTH times while avoiding lacerating the kids with my blades, and as I was making my way off the ice, an adult nearly took me out. Sheesh! I told my husband about it, and he asked where I had gone. I told him and he said, "If I would have known you were going there, I would have been able to warn you" and he proceded to tell me about that area of town and how all the spoiled rich kids have no discipline and mommy and daddy let them do whatever they want. It makes me VERY happy to skate where I do, since most people there are respectful and try to stay out of people's way.

OK, that's my rant.

So...next week is the Adult Advance class and I'm all signed up and paid for. I can't wait!

No comments: