Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wednesday Night Skate

Skated again tonight. I think I'll make Wednesday Night a regular thing. Worked on 3-turns extensively and I was able to do ALL of my forward 3-turns!!! Even the RFI3, which I was convinced i was going to snap my ankle on at some point.

I skated with more speed and power and it felt great! Not so fun dodging the little hockey boys though. They skate so wrecklessly sometimes!

I even tried some edge exercises I've seen other skaters do. I don't know what it is called, but say you're skating forward on your left foot, and your right foot is extended to the front. Then you do a slalom type move on the left foot going from outside edge to inside edge and repeat for the length of the rink. I can do it pretty well on the left, but not so much on the right yet.

Overall skating is improving and I feel I am finally getting back to where I was prior to October. N0w if I can just get a hold of my coach, I can have another lesson!

4 comments:

Gordon said...

Those are power pulls (or "power change of edge pulls" I think the rulebook calls them). When they are done correctly you should get a nice "rip" sound with each edge and get faster as you go down the rink with them.

I really can't do them at all...

Rookie on Ice said...

Ahh...so that's what power pulls are. I heard no "rip" sounds, though...but that will probably come later when I actually get the hang of them. Thanks!

Simone said...

Power pulls are great fun. The power comes from the up and down action of the knee. Remember to keep you legs squeezed together at the thigh (don't let the free leg drift out to the side), and point the free toe in the direction you are going - and then turn around and try it all backwards!
3turn

Unknown said...

Power pulls...who needs to go to the gym? I consider power pulls the best quadracept exercises hands down (when done correctly). The deep knee bend action needed is equivalent to doing squats and lunges at the gym. Sometimes I skate just to get a pure workout and my friend will ask "Why are you sweating? It's cold out here!" "Because I was basically working on my quads for a half hour, you'd be sweating too!" Best, Susan (www.lifeskate.com)