Saturday, January 19, 2008

Progress

So I've been skating in my new skates for the past week. I must say, I'm very impressed! I can actually spin on one foot now, and 3-turns are effortless. The boots are soooo stiff, but I'm glad to have the support. Now I just need the guts to attempt waltz jumps again. I can't believe how nice it is to have new boots and blades, but trusting them will come with practice.

As for breaking in the new boots, I got them heat molded, and have laced and unlaced them many times to help soften the leather a bit. I leave the top hook undone to all for good knee bend. I tried lacing up all the way today, and felt like Frankenstein!! Anyone else have tips on breaking them in? The only problem I seem to have is the tongue on the boot shifts out of place and rubs against my skin, leading to blood spots on the socks. How do I keep that tongue centered and away from digging into my skin?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've not used them, but hear good things about Bunga Pads sorting that out!

Jennifer said...

I don't use Bunga Pads because they're expensive, but most of the skaters at my rink swear by them and they seem to last a long time.

Another option is to have a skate or shoe repair shop but a hook on your tongue that you lace around. I have these on my skates and have never had a problem with my tongue slipping. You can see what it looks like at www.riedellskates.com (look at the advanced freestyle boots).

Hope you find something that works!