Monday, May 26, 2008

Eureka!

I've have a hard time with some elements lately. My 3turns are getting to be really bad, and I can not center a spin, no matter how hard I try or what I fix. I've made sure my shoulders aren't dropping, I keep a good strong core, and make sure my free hip doesn't drop. Still, nothing worked. I couldn't find the sweet spot on my blade either and just made a traveling looping mess every time I spun.

I asked a skating buddy about this, and she suggested that I get my skates sharpened. She also said one edge may be higher or lower than the other (which has happened to hers in the past). We made plans to get our skates sharpened. As embarressed as I was at the condition of the blades (inside edges were getting quite dull), I sucked it up and got them sharpened by someone who is very very reputable.

Surely enough, edges on BOTH blades were VERY uneven. With the right blade worse than the left. The skate sharpener spent a significant amount of time correcting the problem, and the blades look great! I will be able to try it out tomorrow.

Could the uneven edges be the root of my skating problems??? I'm not a fan of super sharp blades, but I have a feeling that my spins will significantly improve, my 3turns may come back for good, and jumps may even improve. I wish there was a rink open right now so I could try them out.

2 comments:

poor clare said...

Your friend is right about sharpening. Whenever I feel myself slipping on my edges or I'm having to get deeper into the ice to get any kinds of turn correctly then I know I need to go to the sharpener. It's smart to get them done by someone you can trust since your skating will no doubt be affected by what happens to the blade. I only go to one sharpener.

IceAmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.