Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Adult 3 Week 5 - Passed!!

Finally a skating class!!! I've waited three weeks for class. None of the other students were there to skate, so it was pretty much a private lesson. I can't believe how much we covered in half and hour!!!

BXO's: Worked more on crossing under, and holding the crossing position. I was wobbily, but my bad side felt more secure than before.

FXO's: It helps to push and extend the leg behind, then quickly bring it to the front and cross it over the skating leg. My instructor pointed out that I was extending my leg to the side, which made it harder to shift my weight. I get much better flow with extending the leg behind. It also helps to keep the upper body turned into the circle, with arms slightly diagonal, meaning the arm behind is slightly elevated, and the arm in front is slightly lowered. So no more airplane arms!!

Edges: coming along nicely. She said I don't need to lean into them so much. I find this funny because for a while there I wasn't leaning enough!!

Mohawks: Worked extensively on these. She pointed out I was putting my weight on my toes. When doing mohawks, the weight should be placed on the heel when switching feet. So with the change in foot, it helps to put the toe down first, then the heel, and keep the weight on the heel. I attempted to do multiple mohawks in a row, but I kept overrotating my upper body, making it nearly impossible to step forward to start another mohawk. I just have to keep my upper body in place, and keep that weight on the heel. This improved in practice today.

Two foot spins: Not much time on these. I can spin and love to spin. Worked more on delaying bringing the arms in, which helps me find that sweet spot on the blades.

So I've already passed Adult 3. I will still go to the makeup class next week, and then hopefully move on from there!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations! So - onto those 3-turns then :)

With the mohawks, I believe a lot of the time overrotation occurs because of rotating the shoulders. One of my books says to keep the arms and head along the circle throughout the whole turn, and just rotate the hips and legs underneath you. Seemed to help me!

Jessim said...

Congratulations! That's exciting news. It is amazing how much a half hour "private" covers vs a group.

I'm so bad at mohawks going from right to left, they are my skating nemesis!

-skittles_skates

Anonymous said...

What a treat to have an unexpected private lesson! I think it's interesting the progression your program takes. We covered 3-turns a while ago but still haven't worked on mohawks. Trying to do them myself (with books, etc.) has gotten me nowhere. Thanks for commenting on my blog! :)