Monday, September 17, 2007

Makeup Class

Tonight was the makeup class for the one missed due to Hockey. I was the only one there (again), so I got yet another private lesson. Yay!

I have to get this out of my system...OMG I DID A 3-TURN!!!!!!

It was amazing. I did one RFO and one LFO 3-turn (out of 15+ attempts!! haha). It was a huge epiphany for me. I have been curious about 3-turns for awhile, and I know once I am proficient at these, so much will open up in my skating potential. For me, this is a milestone. Most recreational skaters that i've observed can't do 3-turns. Some can do two-foot spins, and many can do crossovers forwards and backwards. Being able to do a 3turn makes me feel like I am progressing to a higher level of skating. I think I actually shrieked when I did it - I was so happy! A tip for 3-turns...bend the knee!!! Doing 3-turns with a straight leg leads to that awful scratching sound.

I was able to do a couple of things on the Adult 4 list, and attempted backwards chasses. I think it's a move used a lot in ice dancing. These will take a lot of practice because I'm not totally confident on where to put my weight yet. I can picture it in my head, but my feet haven't gotten that message yet.

There is a local skating competition this weekend, and a couple of adults competing. I'm going to check it out, and see what skating competitions are like.

Now I get to talk to my husband about private lessons. :) I think I'm progressing faster than the group classes are going. My instructor recommended that I take private lessons. and she's right - I'd be bored in the group class. I'm sure I could afford a lesson every other week.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations on doing your first 3-turns :D

Along with bending your knees, other tips are to keep your weight towards the front of your blade (makes the turn easier) and not to let your weight fall into the circle, ie. both before and after the turn, keep your weight over the skating leg.

In the UK, we learn backward chasses as a preliminary exercise to backward crossovers. Therefore, if you have managed BXO's, you shouldn't find these too difficult to get the hang of!

Gordon said...

Hey, congrats on you 3-turn!

Anonymous said...

u saw such before ?? [url=http://tinyurl.com/3140395780]Cute.[/url]

need some help you just click and i get 1 more pic