Friday, October 26, 2007

Wednesday Skate

Got back on the ice this past Wednesday. Very slow to warm up, and my boots definitely don't feel right. They are way too big! But I dealt with it. Worked a lot on edges at first to warm up, as well as some crossovers. Then some mohawks. These still feel the same. My 3-turns took a while to come back, and FO3s are SO much easier than FI3s (which need A LOT of work).

I then attempted some jumps. Waltz jumps are still resulting in being glued to the ice. I did observe some other skaters doing waltz jumps with good height and noticed they really bring that free leg up so they fly in the air. That's what I need to do! So I practiced quite a few bunny hops (evil, yes, but they help with swinging the leg through and getting height on jumps). I actually did a few really good bunny hops, except I think I bent my free leg too much. Oh well. I'm getting the concept of the "swing through and jump."

I then tried some half-flips. Not happening yet, but I did work a lot on jamming the toepick into the ice and jumping straight up (no rotation). This is to help gain height on the jump so I can make the half rotation. Doing this seemed to help out a lot. It may take a few more sessions until I'm up to attempting full jumps.

Spins: I did a couple of one foot spins, albeit very wimpy. But my balance is back! There is no way I can get a one foot spin yet from BXO's (which was taught in my lesson), but I'm getting there from a pivot. I've got to start somewhere, right?

So it was a semi-productive skate, and I didn't lose as much skill as I thought I would. Hopefully I'll make it to the rink this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the ice.
If your skates are too big, try adding a pair of insoles. Superfeet makes inserts specifically for skating/skiing, and I recommend them highly. Usually you replace the factory insoles with the ones of your choice, but when my skates were too big, I just put them in on top of the other ones to take up extra room and it worked quite well.
3turn