Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My Husband, the coach: Part 2

My husband came to see me skate on Friday - the first time since July. He was very impressed by how much I've improved. He remembered that a few months ago I didn't have any edges, and couldn't do my two-foot spin. There I was on friday showing him BXO's, 3-turns, mohawks, and all my edges. Plus, he commented that I seem much more confident on the ice now. Here is a pic of a spiral I did (which I held for a LOOOONG time as he took the picture) my skating leg is slightly bent, but look - It's hip height!!!!

He helped me with a couple of things. Good thing he's a physics genius! I was struggling with FO3s a bit, but I was skating slow. He told me to speed things up. Speed scares me at times because the faster I go, the harder I fall!! Well, I picked up the pace, and had greater succes with the FO3s. Speed is a good thing.
He also noticed that my right foot does not look right in the skates. I drew a primitive pic to show what he was talking about. HAHA..I'm no artist. But the dotted line shows my foot alignment in respect to the boot/blade alignment.

I pronate and I already have insoles to help with that, but my whole foot is not aligned with the blade. The blade itslef is aligned with the boot, but since my foot turns out, my weight is not distributed correctly over the blade. Thank goodness for blade alignments - but that will come with new skates. These skates are cheapies and I don't think there's any way to correct the alignment. We are going to Denver next week and I'm stopping at a skate shop for some advice and maybe some new skates!!! Yipee!

Bought an annual skating pass (only $80!) so now I can skate as much as I please. First official private lesson with my first official coach is tomorrow!

5 comments:

NIUiceprincess said...

Glad to see that your hubby is so supportive of your sport both emotionally and financially...I'm getting married next year and I'm glad that my fiance took account of my skating lesson fees as part of our "monthly budget" =)

My fiance used to like going to public skate with me but now that I'm in freestyle he said he can't keep up anymore, lol

Rookie on Ice said...

At least you could get him to go to public sessions. I can't get my husband to skate, no matter how hard I try. But he's a great cheerleader from the boards.

Definitely budget in skating fees...it adds up so quick.

Amanda said...

$80? Absolute bargain! If I bought a yearly pass (which granted, would include patch as well), it would be nearly £600!

Good luck with your first lesson - you will be amazed at just how much you can cover in a lesson, as opposed to a group class. I am sure you will love it!

Gordon said...

The rink I'm at doesn't offer annual passes. My old rink had an annual public session pass, it was $250. $80 is a real bargain!

My current rink does offer a monthly freestyle pass, it's $199. It's a deal if you are in training, though (although our FS are only $8/session).4getMarie!

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this blog. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. BTW, try to add some images :).