Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Adult 3, Week 2

After two lousy practice sessions, things are most definitely improving.
This is week two of this LTS session. Here's what we worked on Monday.

Mohawks (Forward Inside)- far far away from the barrier! I've been practicing these throughout the week, but kept leaning onto my backwards inside edge causing me to over rotate and nearly spin. I asked the instructor about this and she suggested putting my free leg behind my skating leg more to counterbalance...and voila! I'm still over-rotating at times, but my mohawks are much improved. I was able to do both right and left sides. and I'm finally learning what to do with my arms and head! My lower body tends to understand things before my upper body does...

Two-foot spins: We already started on this last session, with the forward pivot. I'm a CCW spinner like most people, and think one of my classmates is a CW spinner - cool!! I love to spin, as I had mentioned before and I want to do so much more like scratch spins and all sorts of one foot spins. I think the Bielmann is the prettiest, along with the layback. Someday I'll get there. My spins were pretty centered, but I was a little wobbily as I had a hard time getting on the rocker of the blade. Still much fun though!
Tips on the two foot spin: make sure your toes are "pidgeon toed" with your heels out and your toes turned in, nearly touching. I find that keeping a good posture and keeping a stiff upright stance helps center the spin, otherwise it's all wobbily and travels. oh, and never look down when spinning :)

I am also becoming very curious about 3-turns, which I think doesn't get covered until Adult 4. I've been trying to attempt some near the barriers, but not much success with these yet.

Busy work schedule coming up this week. Hopefully there will be enough time to practice!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I have done some 2-foot spin, but not really managed more than about 2 revs.

We also do things in a different order in the UK, so I have "done" (in the loosest possible sense!) 3-turns, but have yet to try mohawks. My coach tells me I will like them - I have a lot of turnout which possibly has been why I found 3-turns a challenge, but apparently mohawks will be a "breeze". Hmmm, we'll see :)

3-turns can be infuriating - with me, it just came down to repetition, repetition . . .

Rookie on Ice said...

When you say "turnout" are you referring to your feet turning out? Mine do the same - especially the right foot. Always has and always will. It does make mohawks easier and feel more natural Spread eagles may even be easier too.

Amanda said...

Yes, that is what I am referring to - feet turning out a lot, but originating from turn-out in the hips. If I do the "Butterfly" (aka. "Frog") position (sitting on the floor, legs bent, soles of the feet together and letting my knees fall sideways, they are flat on the floor.

Blame it on 11 years ballet and freaky genetics!

Anonymous said...

I was interested in what you say about spins. I have done a two foot spin just well enough to pass level 4 but pretty rubbish really. We were taught to go into them CCW and I didn't even think about trying it the other way.

I am left handed and everything my coach shows me such as edges and 3turns he will say most people find it easier this way but then I find I actually to find it easier the opposite way.

It must be something to do with being left handed and I should have realised this before because it seems to affect most things you try and do in everyday life!

Gordon said...

Cat-lil -- most people jump/spin CCW, but some are CW. It's not directly related to handedness (I know two right-handed people who are CW).

For jumping and spinning you should definitely go with your "natural" direction. For turns you'll have to do them all anyway.