Friday, August 24, 2007

Review and Progress

I am very camera shy, but using the digital camera helps me to see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. It is a tool to help improve how I skate.

I looked at pictures today from when I first started skating (I think they were taken sometime in early July). I then looked at video of one of my practices from last week (that would be mid-late August), and noticed a huge difference in my confidence and abilities. Here is just an example of what I noticed:



First and foremost: My figure is slimming down :) Yay for unexpected benefits of skating!

First Pic: I believe this is a LFO edge...or mabye an attempt at a LBO. I'm trying to lean into the edge, but only my hip seems to be leaning. My shoulders are tensed and my leg is way out in right field somewhere...lol....I was afraid of falling, too.

Second Pic: LBO edge - body more relaxed, better alignment. I seem to be more comfortable leaning into the edge - trusting the edge. Still a long way to go, but I definitely see (and have felt) improvement in just a month and a half!

My advice is to use cameras whenever possible if you seem to be having trouble with technique. It helps to see what you are doing, so that you can improve in areas that are lagging. Of course, coaches are much better! but at least when I practice, I find that cameras help :)

No comments: