Monday, August 20, 2007

Success!

I was desperate to go skating on saturday, so I tried a new rink - the Utah Olympic Oval where they claim they have the "fastest ice on earth." They weren't kidding! The ice was absolutely perfect - I felt as if I were flying. It was so smooth! Plus, the rink monitors were checking for imperfections in the ice (i.e. bumps and dents) and repairing them on the spot! They really take care of the ice there. Since it is a speed skating facility, there were some people in speed skates. And I thought I had troubles catching my blades with BXO's - I can't imagine what would happen if I were on speed skates! yikes!

My backwards edges have come back from a long vacation, and the LBO edge feels really good! I know I need to lean more into the edges, but for a beginner, they are ok. I worked a bit on BI edges, which are improving. I did a couple of good R to L mohawks, as I worked more on rotating my body and not just my feet.

Spins were fun, but hard to center on the ice. It's easier for me to spin on hockey-type ice. I even did a couple of cheated one-foot spins just to see what spinning on one foot feels like. I can't wait to progress to layback and scratch spins.

Feeling ambitious, I thought about 3-turns, and did a bunch of two foot turns, but putting most of my weight on one foot in preparation for the real deal. I did my mohawks a bit two-footed at first, and it really helped me out.

The last five minutes was spent on Lunges. And I fell on almost every single one. But falling is good. If you're not Falling, you're not trying!!!

Lesson tonight, then a loooong 12 work shift. blah. I'd better sleep.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

Hey, I am going to be in SLC/Provo over Labor Day to watch the Arizona-BYU game. Can you email me info about rinks there? It's gordonsk8erboi@yahoo.com. Maybe we could do a meetup?

Rookie on Ice said...

I'll look up the info today. There are a lot of rinks out here so you should have no troubles getting ice time. I work most of Labor Day weekend, but maybe we could still meet up.

You're an Arizona Fan, right?

Gordon said...

Yep, I bleed red and blue :-)

Arizona, the school so nice, I went there twice! :-)